What are the benefits of the new system?
There are lots of benefits to depositing your data using Symplectic Elements:
- you can deposit your data and articles in one place
- you will instantly receive a placeholder DOI
- you can revise your data submissions at a later date
- your data gets into the repository quicker, which increases its visibility
- you enter the information about your publication once but it is used in many systems saving you time in the future
- better reporting capabilities for the Research Data Team, which means more accurate reports for Departments, Faculties and Schools
- same high level of service and response from the Research Data team
- display and linkage of ORCIDs in Apollo and Symplectic Elements
There are lots of other things you can do in Symplectic Elements, like add teaching activities, uploading publications, link papers to funding or add details of other systems you use. Symplectic Elements is used for a wide variety of reporting purposes so all this information feeds into these. You can find more information about how Symplectic Elements is used here [Raven protected].
Where can I find out more information on how to deposit data in Symplectic Elements?
The instructions for how to use Symplectic Elements to deposit your data can be found on Moodle here.
The video below will guide you through depositing your accepted manuscript.
If you have any questions regarding the new deposit process and cannot find the answer to your question in the FAQs below please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. The DOI link for my placeholder dataset does not resolve - what should I do to make it resolve?
You need to go back to Symplectic, finalise your dataset and mark the status of your data submission as ‘final’. We will then review your dataset and once approved, the DOI link will start resolving.
Q. What should I do to get a placeholder DOI for my dataset?
Simply go to your Symplectic profile, follow the steps for adding a new dataset, but in the question about the status of your dataset, select ‘placeholder dataset’. You will be sent a placeholder DOI for your dataset automatically after you have uploaded your placeholder dataset.
Q. How do I know that I have uploaded my data successfully?
You should receive an e-mail from us informing you of the placeholder DOI for your dataset. This also confirms that we have received your files successfully.